It’s impossible to give an accurate description of Tuataria – even if you asked someone who has been a part of it since day one. ‘A beautiful mess’ maybe comes close.
Having said that, here is some of the general stuff you may want to know about:
- Tuataria is managed by a team of fantastic modmins (moderators and admins)!
- We have a lot of channels. Probably too many, and you’re welcome to mute any that don’t interest you. All of the channels and their purposes are listed here.
- We like docs. A lot. There’s a folder with a whole bunch of them you can find in the Discord’s #rules_and_information channel. They will seem overwhelming at first, but most of them are optional. There is a folder of “Essentials” with more information about the community and how to use discord, so try and check those out. There are also docs, sheets, images, and videos for The Hunt, major and mini projects, and general silliness. Most new projects are also posted in the #announcements channel.
- WE HAVE A SHIRT ON THE DFTBA STORE AND IT’S FANTASTIC. 15% OF PROCEEDS GO TO THE FOUNDATION TO DECREASE WORLDSUCK, SO, I MEAN, IF YOU DON’T HATE CHARITY, BUY THIS SHIRT. GET IT HERE. THAT’S ALL. (Is it obvious we’re excited about this?)
- We’re an official Discord Partner! The main benefit that this gives us is access to higher quality, VIP voice servers. There are some other goodies too, like the ability to customize our Discord invite splash screen (we’re working on that)! More soon…
You can obviously come hang out whenever you want, but we do hold *some* scheduled events. Some recurring events to look out for:
- Cluesdays are what started it all! When John posts his vlogbrothers’ video, the hunt is on. The videos are usually up between 3-7pm Tuesdays, US Eastern Time, but this is Wednesday for some time zones so we refer to that time (and the hours after) as Cluesday.
- Open Mic “Nights” are held (mostly) every other weekend, around evening for the Eastern US timezone but may vary. Polls to choose times and sign-up sheets are posted in the #announcements channel. Open mics are open to all kinds of performances and work – singing, playing an instrument, reading a story or poem you’ve written, playing a recording of something you’ve already recorded, and more! All members are welcome to come listen and cheer on the performers. We’re also open to mini-concerts from individual members. Recordings of previous open mics are pinned in the #creative channel and in the Google Drive.
- WikiWars Battles are held monthly to determine the Monarch of Tuataria, a ceremonial title that comes with all the honor and prestige you would expect (and your own role color). WikiWars involve two or more people trying to get from one predetermined Wikipedia page to another, using only in-context links. You can watch John Green playing with the Gregory Brothers here. There are also a website that is good for practice, and you can always stop into the Discord and see if anyone wants to do a practice round!
- Anyone who wants to organize an event, from a group watch in voice with a few people to a full trivia night, contact a modmin! We can help get the word out and with sign-ups if needed.
There is a spreadsheet in the Google Drive folder named “Doctionary” that explains a lot of the terms and jokes of Tuataria, but here are a few of them:
- We also like koalas. The heart of this obsession was Koalas to the Max, which may be the most important website ever created. “I Am Koala” was then the first of many Tuataria original productions, written by Andythewestie, sung by Jessieinez, and assembled by Rith. There have been several other Tuataria parodies since then, but you may have to join and ask to get links to those…
- NOOT (verb): to interrupt someone else’s emoji reaction with an unrelated emoji. Often, members will use letter emojis as “reactions” (the discord term) to spell out words in response to a post. Another user may NOOT that reaction by interrupting it with an unrelated object emoji. If you ask for a demonstration, most members are happy to oblige (because NOOTING is fun!)
- We have a sorting quiz! (cause we’re nerds, duh) Most of us have gotten self care bunny as our result…see what you get and let us know!