Below are some quick facts about the lovely Tuataria modmins (a portmanteau of administrator and moderator)! If you have any problems, questions, etc. you can message us on the discord and we can help you out!
alipeli, Allison, Anything Glenn, BoedJ, Cody, dragon-feathers, ErinClements, Haley Mae, Illusemywords, James, Jonathan, Ketie Holmes, librarygirl, Lyserg.Z, Macpants, Megood18, pullingakatherine, skye, TriumphWanter, will, Ylime
Alipeli (Alicia, Ali)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I am a university student in Quito, Ecuador. I study biotechnology. If you ask me what I have learned in my career the most honest answer would be: I know how to efficiently explain what biotechnology is now.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria through Youtube recommendations sometime in 2009 but probably didn’t actually become invested in it till 2010. I found Tuataria on day 2 through a Hank tweet.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In highschool I was part of the student government and president of the environmental club. In Tuataria I help mostly by being as helpful as I can, I can’t really pinpoint a thing that I do. Hopefully that doesn’t mean that I do nothing
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I am a major lurker. I basically read everything. I usually participate in the topics channels and the advice category. I will be a person’s biggest cheerleader so basically hit me up if you need support.
- What is your favourite book? NOPE NOPE NOPE I will not answer this question. My favorite authors at the moment include García Márquez, Jane Austen and Becky Albertalli.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? My favorite Complexly shows have to be SciShow, and Mental Floss. They are the fun fact provider I always needed.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? I live for fun facts. I hope to one day have a fun fact for every situation. This means I need to nerd out about everything. My favorite things to nerd out about are biology, history and books.
- Who are you outside of the internet? A designer and developer, communications specialist, freelancer, amateur half-marathoner, and mom to a grumpy 13-year-old dachshund.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I think it was about 2013-2014, one of those “…was that John Green” tumblr posts, and then I realized that guy did more than write books I kept hearing about. Which led me to vlogbrothers, which led me to…everything. After doing the first hunt the day John started it, I was pretty active in the forum and deciding how we were going to work together *if* there were future hunts, so I jumped at joining the discord a few hours after it was started!
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I’ve run or helped run a few other online communities, including some large LiveJournal groups and Fanlistings (#tbt), and was president/vice president of my college theater company for 3 years, along with several show management roles. I’m also a sometime-creative director for a friend’s sometime-theater company. I’m also a volunteer counselor with Crisis Text Line, and help out at mobile food pantry events with my local food bank. In Tuataria, I do a lot of our data projects (the census, emoji management), help out with the Kindness Challenges, and all around try to make Tuataria the best community it can be for the peeps!
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I enjoy the conversations in almost every channel, but I probably spend the most time reading and engaging in #the_green_room, #fitness, #the_dork_side, and #pets (even if the conversation in pets is mostly squeaking). And #general and #not_so_general, of course. And if there’s every speculating to do again, I am ALL ABOUT that #rabbithole life.
- What is your favourite book? Ummmmm I’m gonna cop out and say the Harry Potter series. I mean, come on!
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Lately it’s been hankschannel, but I also absolutely love the innovative stuff The Art Assignment does!
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Competitive figure skating, long dogs, web accessibility, The West Wing, inclusion in education, how most advertising is bullshit, social justice, fonts, how good pineapple is on pizza…
Anything Glenn (Glenn, Flenn)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a student hoping to be able to study abroad for musical theatre.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered nerdfighteria through my YouTube recommendations and never stopped watching them since, then Nerdfighteria led me here.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In real life I used to be the student council secretary for my school, and I helped with the school magazine. In Tuataria I manage the Weekly TL;DR docs and help write them.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I like talking to my friends in #general and I have a lot of fun dorking out with my friends in #the_dork_side.
- What is your favourite book? That would definitely be Turtles All The Way Down. I’m not much of a reader, but this book just has so much meaning to me and a lot of other people too.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? I love Crash Course because I really love learning and Crash Course makes it so much easier to learn stuff I want to learn.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Ever since I found Hamilton the musical, I’ve started nerding out about all things musical theatre and I love it.
BoedJ (SJ, Boe, Belgian Jonathan, the other Jonathan)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a Belgian student hovering somewhere in between linguistics and computer science.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I’m not sure how I discovered Nerdfighteria, probably a suggested video fed by the YouTube algorithm at some point. I found Tuataria via the original WHAT’S IN THE BOXES comment thread which lead to the creation of the discord (and my sending the first ever message in it).
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? Somehow people appointed me to a student councilor role during my last two years of secondary school, and around the same time I was my football team’s captain. I’ve been a Tuataria admin since the first round of appointments.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I lurk in pretty much all of the channels, but most of my visible activity is in the general ones.
- What is your favourite book? Books are great and important in so many different ways that I can’t possibly answer this question.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? I mostly watch the main vlogbrothers channel, but I’d say Crash Course is probably my favourite project of theirs apart from the main channel.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Languages, probably. Anything that has something to do with meaning and the stories we tell.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I am a born and raised New Yorker and currently a college student at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, PA. I also work as head analyst and assistant coach for the League of Legends team, Team ROCCAT.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I watched Mental Floss video for years without even realizing it was the same John Green that wrote all those, what I at the time thought were “sappy romance novels all the girls liked in high school.” Eventually one of the recommended videos on those led me to the vlogbros channel and that was that, down the rabbit hole I went.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I’ve been a member of several online communities before this, mostly gaming related, I was also captain of my high school basketball team and my role with ROCCAT functions as something of a leadership position as well.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I am a politics and sports junky, so I’m in both channels quite frequently, but mostly I hang out in general a lot just to chat and engage in the craziness.
- What is your favourite book? I’m going to split this into sci-fi and fantasy (my two favorite genres) to make this a bit easier. Sci-fi, it’s The Martian, by Andy Weir. Fantasy, The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? I gotta go with Dear Hank & John, even if I have trouble keeping up a lot of the time
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Sports, video games and reading/writing.
Dragon-Feathers (Dragon, Jake)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a welsh teenager, nerd, beekeeper, owner of too many books (i would say that there is no such thing, but my bookshelf is overflowing), and collector of houseplants.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I found Nerdfightaria during the TFIOS movie hype, although it was before I’d actually managed to read the book. As for Tuataria, in the second week of the hunt I realised that I’d forgotten to watch John’s video from the week before, found the first hunt in the comments, and then found a link to the discord server that would become Tuataria in the forum (it was called #itsatuatara back then), and then joined in with trying (not very successfully) to solve the second hunt.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? Off the internet, I’m a volunteer librarian at my local library, and run sessions there where I help old people use their phones and tablets. Online, I’ve been a modmin in tuataria for a while, and I mainly help out with general day to day moderating and member issues, because I’m not very good at the making discord work side of things.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I lurk everywhere except #school_help and #sports (which I have muted and tend to forget exist), but aside from #general and #not_so_general, I can most often be found unlurking in #over_the_rainbow or the voice channels. I can also be found posting cute photos of my assortment of pets in #pets.
- What is your favourite book? It depends on what sort of favourite, but the one book I read over and over again is Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan. I don’t quite know how to describe why I love it, but I do.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? I’m very bad at keeping up with youtube channels, so I’d probably have to say the main vlogbrothers, if that counts, because it’s the only one i manage to watch regularly.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? All sorts of things, but mainly books and bees! I keep bees, and can often be found rambling about them in #pets.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a college student, freelance writer, activist (primarily for women’s rights and disability rights) and giant nerd from Ohio. I’m also the girlfriend of fellow modmin Jonathan — the American one, not the Belgian one.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I’m not sure of the exact time frame because it’s been so long, but I discovered Nerdfighteria around 2009-ish and was definitely a fan, but became truly and deeply involved in the community right before the TFIOS boom happened. I created the Tuataria discord server the night of the first hunt.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In real life, I’m the public relations officer for my college’s branch of Phi Theta Kappa, and I’m actively involved in all of my college’s honors programs and societies. I’m also a volunteer in the childcare division of my church. In Tuataria I’ve helped with the P4A Kindness Challenge, Tuataria Secret Santa, and random other events and fun things that happen on the server in addition to regular modmin duties.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I lurk in just about every channel on the server, but I’m probably most active in the general channels, #the_dork_side, or the channels in the John & Hank category.
- What is your favourite book? The books that mean the most to me overall are Turtles All the Way Down and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, but my “favorite” book varies by the hour. You should know better than to ask a bookworm this question, because *incoherent screaming* THERE’S SO MANY GOOD BOOKS TO PICK FROM!!!
- What is your favourite Complexly show? It’s nearly impossible to pick, but probably between Sexplanations, The Financial Diet, 100 Days (RIP), and good ol’ Vlogbrothers if that counts.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Literature, poetry, movies, music, all the things. The quickest way too my heart is to yell about All Time Low or slam poets like Sabrina Benaim, Melissa Lozada-Oliva, and Blythe Baird with me.
Haley Mae (Haley)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a Michigander and recent college graduate, with a degree in Animal Science concentrated in Animal Biology. I am also dog mom to an Australian Shepherd, Briar Rose, that I am training to be a therapy dog.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria in 2009 when I was in middle school during a not so positive part of my life. Obviously Tuataria would come along much later (I joined in late March of 2017), but it’s the most involved in the community I have ever been!
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I volunteered regularly through several organizations in middle school, high school, and university to help local communities. As far as online communities I was active on tumblr and a couple different fanfiction websites until high school (which will go to the grave with me. Don’t ask 😂😂)
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I’ve been known to josh it up with the best of them in #general. I’ve also got a soft spot for #pets which I am sure shocks no one. #how_to_human is also a favorite, but I lurk in most channels. 👀 Regardless of my activity there. (Though I have a fair share muted as well)
- What is your favourite book? Once again I am unable to select a favorite book (I am an incredibly, indecisive person). I love all of the Harry Potter books, John Green’s books (particularly Turtles All the Way Down and Paper Towns), and a plethora of other books.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Oh dear. Well I don’t follow any of them like a series, but a recent paper for a capstone course has given me a new appreciation for Sexplanations. (Also, Dr. Doe is just an awesome woman with great energy!) I love the old Crash Course World History episodes, SciShow does some super interesting videos, and I’m adjusting to the new format for Mental Floss still.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Well I’m sure you’re sensing a pattern here, but I love nerding out about the environment, particularly animals, agriculture, and how we can work towards a healthier planet for all creatures. I also love a variety of other, more normal things I promise!
Illusemywords (Goose, åse)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a student from Oslo getting a degree in comparative literature. I like to read and spend way too much time watching Netflix.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria probably around 2011/2012 through Harry Potter fanpages on facebook. Tuataria I discovered sometime early on when John posted on facebook about something happening in the comments of the latest VB video.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? Online I try to be welcoming and kind to the people I talk to, both in Tuataria and other places on the internet. In real life I’m not doing much right now as I’m mostly busy with university, but I used to work at a local nursing home, which mostly involved helping people who were unable to help themselves.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I lurk in and read pretty much every channel I don’t have muted, but I probably spend most time in #general, #literature and #over_the_rainbow, though I don’t always talk that much
- What is your favourite book? Listen… I study literature. My relationship with books is very complicated. That being said… Slaughterhouse V by Kurt Vonnegut is probably my favorite
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Probably Crash Course or Mental Floss.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Literally anything my dudes. It changes from time to time. At the moment it’s Batman comics. A while ago it was The Secret History by Donna Tartt. For an embarrassingly long time when I was 14 it was Twilight.
- Who are you outside of the internet? Hello, I’m a twenty five year old Londoner who likes drinking tea, taking photos and travelling around the world. In my day job, I work for local government in London, doing urban planning. It’s wonderful to see your hard work be realised in the real world!
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? 5 years, since 2012. CGP Grey pointed me towards the vlogbrothers and I was hooked. I always knew I was a nerd, so I was a little disappointed I hadn’t found them earlier… I’ve watched the videos ever since. Watching a John video early in 2017 led me down a weird Padre Pio based rabbit hole, and the rest is history!
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I’ve been part of many internet forums over the years, but never in a leadership role. In meatspace, I was a Young Leader at my local Cub Scout group, as part of completing my Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award. In Tuataria, I was the second monarch (King James), and I drink tea alot. There’s probably other things that I’ve forgotten – we do so much as a community!
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I like this question. Not “which do you spend most time in”, but what do you most enjoy. #finished_works (the old creative) – I love art, literature and other creative endeavours, and I greatly enjoy the talent and passion of our members across the world. Also, #food because I like good food. Simple as!
- What is your favourite book? 1Q84 by Murakami. Maddeningly brilliant.
- What is your favourite Complexly show?
Brain ScoopIt has to be a Complexly show? So I can’t choose Hankschannel? Fine, Crash Course it is.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Yeah, I’m a nerd. Aren’t we all? Cities, urban transportation, trains, books, politics, architecture, Harry Potter, good quality design, London, art, photography, history, technology… I could go on…
Jonathan (Enchilada, Ench, the other Jonathan)
- Who are you outside of the internet? Hi! I’m a 19 year old computer science major from just outside New York City. I’m a tutor at my local Boys and Girls Club and also a produce clerk at Stop and Shop. Don’t mess with me or I’ll poison your lettuce. Erin, the creator of Tuataria, is my real life girlfriend.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I found Nerdfighteria 4 years ago , through SciShow and Crash Course. I Googled “Are John Green and Hank Green brothers?” and the rest is history. I discovered Tuataria on the first day through Hank’s tweet about the hunt.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In the outernet, I’ve volunteered at my local dog rescue for several years, in addition to my Boys and Girls Club job. I was one of the original admins of Tuataria, but I took a break for a while until recently coming back.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? #general, mostly. The faster the better.
- What is your favourite book? An Ember in the Ashes, by Sabaa Tahir
- What is your favourite Complexly show? SciShow Space!
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Oh boy. Space, sports, space, Transformers, Halo, space… other stuff.
Ketie Holmes (Ketie)
- Who are you outside of the internet? In my real life, I’m a trainer for democratic education. aka I sit people down in circles and we talk about democracy.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I became a Nerdighter in 2009. I’ve organized local gatherings and been part of online Nerdfighter places. and since NerdCon: Nerdfighteria I have a international nerdfighter group, the “pineapples of solidarity”. I’ve joined tuataria at some point during the hunt and was there for a couple of the hunts, when I could. But I only really became involved with the community around the time of the publication of turtles all the way down.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I’ve been involved in different slices of the Nerdfighter community for years. Sometimes I am organising local community events, other times I am trying to make our online places fun and engaging.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I am mostly living on the side servers: Hogwartaria, the book club, and Gamataria. On the main server I mostly hang out in The Green Room.
- What is your favourite book? The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is my favorite book in general. My favorite john green book is zombiecorns.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Animal Wonders & Sexplanations.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? TV shows (The Handmaid’s Tale, Doctor Who, Grey’s Anatomy…), books, movies, games (The Sims, Hearthstone), YouTube, animals (I love animals!), musicals, random weird facts, …
LibraryGirl (Bex, Becky)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a youth services librarian and a cat mom.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? It’s been a while so my memory is a bit vague on dates, but I thiiink I found Nerdfighteria around P4A 2010 and got properly into it in spring of 2011. I found Tuataria through one of John’s youtube comments about ten weeks into the hunt.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I work in a library – I spend all day every day helping people. One of my favorite non-work helping experiences was organizing the P4A Kindness Challenge, which I hope to keep doing for a long time to come!
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? Shockingly, I spend a lot of time in #literature and #pets, but I also just love hanging out in the general channels to see what everyone’s up to! I spend a fair bit of time lurking in #how_to_human and the creative channels as well: I learn so much and I love learning and growing personally and creatively with all of these awesome people.
- What is your favourite book? bookworm.exe has stopped running. Please reboot your bookworm and ask her easier questions.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Probably SciShow or Mental Floss.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Books (you’re shocked, I know) and musical theatre. And my cat.
Lyserg.Z (Lyserg, Ly)
- Who are you outside of the internet? Some Chilean person studying Computer Science
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I honestly can’t remember when or how I started watching Vlogbros videos. Pretty sure I was there for the 2008 p4a so let’s say since late 2008. Tuataria was through the itsatuatara forums the day it was created.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In Tuataria: I sometimes write things, sometimes people read ’em. Offline: I sometimes say things, sometimes people listen. But really, I get sad about convos going sour so I tend to act as a mediator of sorts sometimes, or just generally nudge people into Imagining Each Other Complexly™. I sometimes pressure for things to happen when I see that someone needs to do that, but I tend not to go for explicit leader roles. I donate blood frequently, so that’s also something? It’s very simple, if you can you should try it too C:
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? Mostly in the generals and #the_dork_side, always look at #coding and sometimes have nice/interesting extended convos over at #philosophy_spirituality. I like looking at the creative channels too. I lurk almost everywhere.
- What is your favourite book? That’s a hard one, specially because I don’t read that much. I like John Green stuff, magical realism (e.g. García Márquez), and Watership Down is one of the books I’ve most enjoyed recently. Allow manga and I could add stuff like WataMote and Oyasumi Punpun (and other Inio Asano works).
- What is your favourite Complexly show? The Brainscoop. It’s entertaining and really interesting. It’s not a Complexly show now, but I was told it used to be so I’m going with it anyways.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Most subjects have something that can be super fun and interesting, but mostly, it’s anime, videogames, music and different combinations of those. Yell at me about Chiptune.
Macpants (Mac, Mark)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I am a tall skinny kid who works for a university’s art school as a computer technician. I like theater, puns, video games- specifically simulators and casual games, and makes frequent references to obscure pop culture references from ten years ago. When I use a Mac, I change the settings to have a right-click button and the normal scrolly directions. (Not “natural” scrolling) I’m also a cis-het man that has mild ADHD, has trouble keeping track of time, and that types more eloquently than I speak. I still have to use spell checker more often than I’d like to admit.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? In summer 2013, a friend recommended John’s books and said I should check out his and his brother’s videos too. I finally had a name for what I was- A Nerdfighter! The most connected I got was participating in each P4A since 2014 onwards. Tuataria I found when I was about to leave for work one day and there was a strange pinned comment in John’s video. I followed the clues all the way to the innards of a forum site… A strange cryptic post handed over only the slightest amount of information… What is this? Is this going to happen again? I guess we need a place to figure these out. “Come join #itsatuatara server. We can figure these out together!” says Erin (dramatically paraphrased) Being who I am, I didn’t check in much at all until I got a notification on my phone that said “Open mic starting soon!” so on a whim, I went upstairs to my computer and decided to recreate the Strong Bad email “Caffine” and I’ve been in love with this server ever since. (By the way, if you don’t know who Strong Bad is, that needs to be remedied now. Google “Homestar Runner”. You will not regret it.)
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? My first foray into leadership was being a counselor at a low-key Christian summer camp. I also was a mod on a family friendly Minecraft server for just under 2 years. IRL, I’m a board member of the local community theater.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? #the_dork_side, #the_green_room, #politics (though I don’t post often, I enjoy the discourse), #sports, #townhall, #general of course! You’ll see me a bit over in Gamataria too!!
- What is your favourite book? I’ve been leaving this question blank for a while because like a lot of nerds, it’s next to impossible to decide. It’s probably book 7 of Harry Potter. It’s a brilliant book but above all, it reminds me that even when Harry is doing the right thing, the loving thing, he can be angry and resentful. It reminds me that we are all complex humans and we are *never* merely one thing at a time. We are all deep webs of complexity.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Complexly shows *only*?? Ok… Nature League. It’s fun, Britt is awesome, and it’s new so you can ‘get in on the ground floor’ of a new show! A close second is The Art Assignment.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? When someone asks me questions about something I like a lot. For instance, watch what happens if you ask me about coffee, assembling custom computers, keyboards, what Jesus had to say about how to treat others, earth-friendly living, and net neutrality, among others!!!
Megood18 (Megan, Meg, Megbert, nutmeg, megdonalds, neg. herbert…..)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I am a recent college graduate loving life in South Carolina. I earned a bachelor of science in biology with three minors in chemistry, dance, and environmental studies (I am only a little crazy). I am entering the work force hard with a job now. I am also a person who knows a lot about plant STDs, and I love swing dancing and all forms of dancing in general!
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria when my freshman year roommate introduced me to vlogbrothers in early 2015 because she was tired of the videos on elk bugle calls. She then later showed me Crash Course, which saved my chemistry grade. I have been a nerdfighter ever since. I found Tuataria right at the beginning in Week 0 in the forum. I lurked for a while, but now I am the nerd I hope y’all all love.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In real life, you will see that I am an avid supporter of saving the environment. I was a student leader of my school’s environmental club, which pretty much made me the face that everyone knew on campus as the girl to ask when it came to environmental questions. Online, you see me (or read me) as a friendly face who loves to answer questions. I love helping to teach new members how to use Discord just as people taught me when I was new!
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? You can mostly catch me in #general and #not_so_general. I also enjoy reading #scitech as a lover of all things science. And you can see me hanging around in every channel in the John and Hank category! I also love chatting in #fitness and #food (those certainly go hand in hand haha). Finally, you can ALWAYS catch me freaking out over cute in #pets.
- What is your favourite book? Panic mode ensues… I HAVE TO PICK ONE???? ARE YOU SURE??? AAAHHHHH!!!!
- What is your favourite Complexly show? I love SciShow, but I also enjoy one of the newest series, Nature League!
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Well, if you know me for any length of time, it would be plants. I am a huge plant nerd, and it always shocks people (sarcasm mode). I also love to nerd out about dance. Be cautious if you ever ask about my thoughts and feelings on George Balanchine.
pullingakatherine (Katherine, Kath)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a student in my last year of University, studying Environmental Science. I am one of the key planners for my faculties Orientation, amongst other things I do with my school. I’m also a sometimes vlogger (when I can get videos up in under a year) but excited for my up-coming videos!
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I first discovered Nerdfighteria during the TFiOS hype. I came across a gift set on tumblr of John and Hank exploring their fancy hotel, and I was sold. From that moment on I’ve seen every Vlogbrother videos to date. I discovered Tuataria that first night of the hunt, and well, the rest is history as they say.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? Online: I’ve been a part of the modmin team since the beginning and from there I’ve been involved with planning and organizing events, such as Open Mics. I’m also the reason behind Rounded Pentaon’s game sake. Offline: People might say I’m over committed… And they’re probably right. As mentioned previously, I’m one of the main planner’s for my school Orientation, part of my university’s recruitment team, a member of my college’s residence life team, and probably more stuff that I’ve forgotten.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? The place you’ll see me with the most regularity is #not_so_general wishing people a happy birthday. Otherwise these days I’ve taken to lurking the generals and other channels. The voice channels are always a great time when I get a chance to pop on in and chat with anyone who’s around!
- What is your favourite book? UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Okay I’m going to recommened two books I’ve always loved but they’re like super lowkey. Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin and Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott are two books I think about with somewhat regularity and just really enjoyed.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Does Vlogbrothers count??? If not, 100 Days was a good time, and How to Adult! ALSO ALSO The Pemberley Digital shows were the bomb.com.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? I mean, I’ll nerd out about anything that I’m interested in. It’s pretty easy to activate super excited screaming Katherine, so like, be careful to what you introduce me to.
- Who are you outside of the internet? First year media student, with a concentration in journalism. I study all the different ways you’re being affected by that latest Disney or Avengers movie, other than like, the tears. In my spare time, I keep a somewhat artsy journal and do (really really erratic) freelance design work. I also take way too many naps.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? Through John’s novels mostly, with TFIOS being the introduction. The first vlogbrothers video I watched was one of John reading the first chapter of the book. Someone posted about the hunt in a Nerdfighter Facebook group I was a part of, and you can kind of figure out the rest. And then the hunt led to another one of John’s books so it all comes full circle!
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I noodle around in Photoshop & Illustrator a lot, and sometimes that leads to my work becoming featured in pretty neat places. Coyness aside, I contributed to the design of the Tuatarian logo, which has since become a shirt you can buy on DFTBA, and more importantly, a stamp on the hardcover of most editions of Turtles All The Way Down, John’s latest book. I’m not really part of any solid communities IRL, but that has mostly been due to me moving away to another state for college. I’m hoping to be more involved in the local art scene in the future!
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? #pets is good for the soul. Oh, and #the_dork_side and #the_green_room too, I guess. I have… an unhealthy amount of interest invested into Stardew Valley, so you can usually see me in the dedicated channel for the game in Gamataria too.
- What is your favourite book? My recent loves are We Are Okay and Children of Blood & Bone. Both are sweet and gripping in wildly different ways, but both are the type of book I kinda hope to write someday. I also really like Percy Jackson!
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Before I studied media, I wanted to study psychology, so SciShow Psych is a godsend. Brit and Hank are such good hosts. Crash Course‘s more obscure series, like Media Literacy & Mythology are also hella cool.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? I had no idea how to write this, so this is a paraphrased quote from a friend: “You like good food, books for young teens and poetry. You ramble about Dodie a lot. And Brooklyn Nine-Nine. And anime. You’re also like, super passionate about LGBTQ+ issues and mental illness discourse too.”
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a super-duper-ultra-senior accounting major at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania; I also hail from said Keystone State, making my non-college-time residence in the Pittsburgh area.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria through a friend who got into John’s books not long after TFiOS came out (which, fun fact, is now in the first half of Nerdfighteria’s existence; isn’t the ceaseless forward progression of time fascinating?), though I was pretty passive in my being-in-it until Tuataria happened. I heard on the pod that there was a Nerdfighteria Discord, and then I saw it in the hunt video that week, and the rest is history.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In addition to modminning here, I mod a few other interest-specific Discord servers, the largest of which is at about 800 members at the time of writing, give or take. In the offline community, I admit that I don’t do as much volunteery work as I once did, on account of time being split between my education and a part-time job, but I once did work handing out food with my local food bank.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? #general is always a good time. A good time that’s impossible to keep up with, usually, but a good time nonetheless; it’s the one place in Tuataria where you know that just about any conversation can happen, so it’s always fun to walk into it and not know what’s gonna happen–other than that it’ll be something very interesting with some very interesting people! I can also be seen pretty regularly in #sports and #the_green_room, dabbling in the other channels when appropriate.
- What is your favourite book? I disagree with your premise. One cannot simply have a favorite book. More specificity is needed to get a good answer! For instance, if you were to ask about my favorite unreleased book, I would have to say Hank Green’s An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, which releases September 25th; it is available for pre-order now wherever books are sold (limited signed copies are still available, so act fast!).
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Does The Anthropocene Reviewed count as a Complexly show? If not, then probably SciShow.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Sports. Full-stop. (But only the sports that I like, naturally; so, baseball, 🏈 football, and 🏒 hockey.)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a high school student hoping to pursue a career in natural resources/conservation, Dutch dancer, library enthusiast, fly fisherman, and overall nerd (but you knew that).
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I’ve been a nerdfighter since 2015, when I found vlogbrothers through a friend’s recommendation. I joined Tuataria after the fifth week of the hunt(about 10 minutes before John!) and it’s really been the first place I have felt truly immersed in Nerdfighteria.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In personspace, I co-run my school’s United Way chapter and help manage events for Student Council, as well as organizing and planning GSA meetings. I’ve learned…a Lot about communication and its importance through these responsibilities, and I hope to continue that.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? While I can be found in #general a lot of the time, #literature and #over_the_rainbow make me think about things in different ways and I learn a lot from the interactions I have in those places.
- What is your favourite book? II can’t choose a definite favorite, but one that I keep coming back to is We Are The Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson (pssst go read it-aliens and mystery and own voices gay rep).
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Nature League!! I love its subject matter and its approachable, curious way of introducing complex topics so much!
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? I’m a nerd for most things to be honest, but particularly books (yell at me about what you’re reading!), all kinds of birds and birdwatching, dragons, and rocks/ geology.
YlimeReads (Emily, Em)
- Who are you outside of the internet? A cataloging librarian whose heart is in the pacific northwest but currently exploring the northeast. Dedicated pokemon trainer and unapologetically nerdy person.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered nerdfighteria in 2007 when Accio Deathly Hallows was featured on the front page of YouTube. I’ve been a nerdfighter ever since and joined Tuataria the night it was created!
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I’ve been a part of many online communities in my years on the internet on multiple different platforms, helping out when I can to grow them. Offline I’ve been a student leader in high school, college and grad school; each completely different roles but all involved building community.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I hang out in #general a lot, but I really do lurk/read every channel (:eyes: always watching). The ones I probably participate the most in regularly are: #the_dork_side, #how_to_human, #the_green_room, #pets, and probably whichever nerd-related spoiler channel(s) that exists.
- What is your favourite book? I do not like this question it is too hard. My go-to answer is Harry Potter (the whole series really but book 7 if you make me choose one).
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Crash Course and SciShow! I’m not watching every video these days because SO MANY WOW but I am amazed at the quality of the educational content and the entertainment of these channels.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Star Trek will always top the list for me, but I am a huge fan of many nerdy things including but definitely not limited to: Star Wars, Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Marvel movies, LOTR, Rick Riordan’s books, Pokemon, Firefly, Gilmore Girls, BOOKS, Zelda games, and honestly probably a lot more rip I definitely don’t have a problem it’s fine.