We have…a lot of channels in Tuataria. It’s too many for post people, and you’re welcome to mute channels for topics and areas you’re not interested in. But we’re hoping that Discord FINALLY adding categories/folders helps. There may also be temporary voice or text channels added for events or projects that may not make the list below.
- #rules and #useful_info: Rules, info, and important links for Tuataria. This won’t change often, but if you do see a new post you should read it – it’s going to be an important change!
Server & Community Business
- #announcements: Modmins will post announcements, news, events, etc. here! We try to stick to things that apply to everyone in the community, and clear out outdated announcements as needed. Please keep this unmuted!
- #modmin_updates: A little extra peek into how we work in modchat and the things we’re thinking about or doing (that aren’t full-announcement worthy).
- #bulletin_board: Members can post projects, events, internet groups, and other things they’re working on to get input or interest. It can be anything from the start of an idea, looking for help doing it, to a participation form for a rock solid plan. Pins are used for community-led TLDRs.
- #town_hall: Feedback, ideas, questions, discussion, and and more for MAKING TUATARIA AWESOME. We’ll also post open notes from modmin meetings here, and members can discuss suggestions and changes here anytime.
- #stitchs_island: Keep most of Stitch’s bot commands here, to not clutter other channels. Type e;help to get a full list.
- #welcome_tuatarians: Say hello and ask questions if you’re new (or just confused).
- #general: For, well, general chatting about anything and everything. This is the main channel for the discord and where people hang out most of the time.
- #not_so_general: The back porch to the living room that is #general. If there are a lot of people in #general, or two different conversations are going on there, people can hop over to #not_so_general.
- #calm_general: A general with a few extra considerations for a chiller experience
– Single conversation at a time, move tangents to #not_so_general, DMs, or elsewhere (it is also a place to move chill tangents to).
– Try to avoid capslock, multiple single-word message, or spreading a sentence over several messages
Temporary and Events
- This category is always rotating for Tuataria events, sporting events, spoilers channels, and other things that are around for a short time, and then usually archived. Check the channel names and description for info!
John and Hank
- #the_green_room: Even though we’re a community of nerdfighters, the server has become about so much more that now we need a space JUST for nerdfighter, Green brother, and Complexly things!
- #onthehunt: Clue solving and password hunting. If you’re catching up, you can ask for help here. Members also create and host their own puzzles and hunts, which will happen here – check the calendar! Hints for any hunts are fine in this channel when requested, but DO NOT spoil the passwords!
- #therabbithole: Discussion and speculation about what the hunts led to, and general TATWD hype. There may be spoilers for forum post content here, but otherwise NO TATWD SPOILERS.
- #convention_center: Used (and sometimes renamed) for vidcons, nerdcons, tours, and other big events and meetups! For both coordination, and sharing IRL experiences with the rest of the community.
- #the_dork_side: Also considered the “fandom” channel, a place to find fandom friends, share videos and media you find interesting, and lots of EXCITED YELLING!
- #fitness: Doing your own 100 Days? Want some advice for something new to try? Just want to brag about your great workout? Share it here!
- #food: Recipes, cooking questions and tips, comparing the weird things each of our countries eat, food glamour shots – it’s all here!
- #holidays: Talkin’ about holidays around the world, traditions, similarities, differences.
- #literature: This channel is for all forms of reading material – books, plays, poetry, and more!
Pins are used for recommendation docs and groups.
- #over_the_rainbow: Talk about issues of gender, sexuality, and identity with the community. Be sure to check the pinned posts for channel-specific guidelines.
- #pets: Land of the FLOOFS! All pet photos welcome, or just come for a visit. Unarguably the happiest place in Tuataria, and maybe the entire internet.
- #philosophy_spirituality: A place for nerdfighters to have authentic dialogue around religion, philosophy, and more. Be sure to check the pinned posts for channel-specific guidelines.
- #politics: Politics, current events, social and economic issues.
- #scitech: Let’s talk about science, technology, and all the wonderful STEM-like things in the world!
- #sports: All types of sporting events welcome (but especially wimblies).
Education and Advice
- #coding: Get help and share resources for the original geeky pursuit. All languages and platforms welcome!
- #how_to_human: Taxes? Job interview? Going to college? Doing your laundry? Ask and answer all the burning questions about, well, how to human.
- #language_exchange: For conversations in languages besides English, whether you want to brush up or you’re already fluent! Be sure to check the pinned posts for channel-specific guidelines.
- #linguistics: This channel is dedicated to English conversations about language, especially linguistics!
- #school_help: Over 70% of our members are students of some kind, and 100% are smart and awesome. Help with an assignment, college application advice, study tips, etc.
- #finished_works: Showing off creative works of ALL sorts!
- #making_things: Talking about the process of creating, the tools you use, looking for inspiration, asking for advice.
- #feedback: Share works in progress here if you’re looking for feedback.
- #writing: For talk on the writing process, sharing drafts, ideas and prompts, and more!
Having trouble with connecting to voice or using Push to Talk? Check out the discord basics page.
We have two voice channels to allow for a few conversations at once – and can add temporary channels for events as needed. Both voice_1 and voice_2 have associated text channels for people who can’t speak in voice to listen and participate, or for sharing links/pics/etc.
If either channel has a name after or instead of the number, it’s being used as a temporary event/collaboration channel (e.g. #voice_onthehunt or #tuataratown).
voice_productivity can be used for accountability when you need to GET STUFF DONE. Don’t worry if people are in there, hop right in! Be sure to check the pinned posts for channel-specific guidelines.
The AFK channel is for users who step away from their computer but stay connected to voice for a long time or leave their mic on and are interrupting with background noise. We don’t have it set to automatically move people to AFK, so you can ask a modmin who’s around to move someone if needed. Users connected to this channel will be automatically muted and deafened there, so don’t join trying to chat with whoever’s in there.