Below are some quick facts about the lovely Tuataria modmins (a portmanteau of admin and mod)! If you have any problems, questions, etc. you can message us on the discord and we can help you out!
- Who are you outside of the internet? I am a university student in Quito, Ecuador. I study biotechnology. If you ask me what I have learned in my career the most honest answer would be: I know how to efficiently explain what biotechnology is now.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria through Youtube recommendations sometime in 2009 but probably didn’t actually become invested in it till 2010. I found Tuataria on day 2 through a Hank tweet.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In highschool I was part of the student government and president of the environmental club. In Tuataria I help mostly by being as helpful as I can, I can’t really pinpoint a thing that I do. Hopefully that doesn’t mean that I do nothing
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I am a major lurker. I basically read everything. I usually participate in the topics channels and the advice category. I will be a person’s biggest cheerleader so basically hit me up if you need support.
- What is your favourite book? NOPE NOPE NOPE I will not answer this question. My favorite authors at the moment include García Márquez, Jane Austen and Becky Albertalli.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? My favorite Complexly shows have to be SciShow, and Mental Floss. They are the fun fact provider I always needed.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? I live for fun facts. I hope to one day have a fun fact for every situation. This means I need to nerd out about everything. My favorite things to nerd out about are biology, history and books.
- Who are you outside of the internet? Website maker, digital/social media manager, freelancer, amateur half-marathoner, and mom to a grumpy 14-year-old dachshund.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I think it was about 2013-2014, one of those “…was that John Green” tumblr posts, and then I realized that guy did more than write books I kept hearing about. Which led me to vlogbrothers, which led me to…everything. After doing the first hunt the day John started it, I was pretty active in the forum and deciding how we were going to work together *if* there were future hunts, so I jumped at joining the discord a few hours after it was started!
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I’ve run or helped run a few other online communities, including some large LiveJournal groups and Fanlistings (#tbt), and was president/vice president of my college theater company for 3 years, along with several show management roles. I’m also a sometime-creative director for a friend’s sometime-theater company. I’m a volunteer counselor with Crisis Text Line, and help out at mobile food pantry events with my local food bank. In Tuataria, I do a lot of our data projects (the census, emoji management), help out with the Kindness Challenges, and all around try to make Tuataria the best community it can be!
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I enjoy the conversations in almost every channel, but I probably spend the most time reading and engaging in #the_green_room, #fitness, #the_dork_side, and #pets (even if the conversation in pets is mostly squeaking). And #general and #not_so_general, of course.
- What is your favourite book? Ummmmm I’m gonna cop out and say the Harry Potter series. I mean, come on! Otherwise, Ella Enchanted.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Lately it’s been hankschannel, but I also absolutely love the innovative stuff The Art Assignment does!
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Competitive figure skating, long bois, web accessibility, The West Wing, inclusion in education, how most advertising is bullshit, social justice, fonts, how good pineapple is on pizza…
- Who are you outside of the internet? By day, I’m a Welsh person living undercover as a Londoner in a house full of Nerdfighters. I exist purely to drink too much tea and spend most of my time procrastinating, denying the death of my plant collection and doing ‘art stuff’. I’m also the unofficial ‘cursed image creator’ and IRL girlfriend and housemate of Modmin James – hi!
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria back in 2013 when I first read John’s books and there was something about Vlogbrothers in the back of Paper Towns. When I moved to London I was completely on my own, and I joined the local Nerdfighter group here and found a whole bunch of great friends (and housemates) through this community! I joined Tuataria during Pizzamas after moving into the Nerdfighter Flat – and here I am.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? Back in Wales, I volunteered a lot to help out at events and raise money for our local hospice. I used to volunteer in a charity shop, and helped to run after-school art programmes for younger kids while providing advice about University for A-level students at my old school. These days I’m around to give dubious adulting advice and just try my best to do simple, everyday acts of kindness.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I spend most of my time in #general, but I love seeing everything people are posting in #making_things and #finished_works and love the slower, in-depth discussions in #calm_general too!
- What is your favourite book? I’m going to avoid saying Harry Potter because this feels like the easy answer (apologies) – my favourite series is probably the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness, but one of my all-time favourite books is Across The Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Probably SciShow or CrashCourse for quick, fun and interesting facts when I feel like learning something new!
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Art, books, Harry Potter, bad jokes and cursed images. I’m here for all of it.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a Texan currently struggling through Midwestern Winters. I’m also a Bisexual Christian (specifically Lutheran). My major is technically Civil Engineering, but I do so much else you wouldn’t know it (aside from how much I talk about concrete). Not to flex, but I run 3 Organizations and participate in several more. How do I have time to do it all? I’ll let you know when I figure that out.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? My little brother introduced me to SciShow back in 2012 when everyone was freaking out about Mayans. About a year later I started watching Crash Course, and discovered Vlogbrothers. I didn’t really watch it until “On Middle School Misery”. I’ve been a consistent viewer ever since. So it might be surprising that I only found Tuataria in January 2019. I knew some sort of scavenger hunt was happening, but I just kinda missed all the memos. Like, some very obvious memos like the pinned comment to a video being tuataria.com. It took my irl friend Jenna dragging me here for me to find this place.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? Online, I’ve participated in r/Neoliberal’s Against Malaria Biannual Charity Drives, doing stupid stuff when we hit milestones. I’ve participated in a few P4As, depending on my schedule. Offline, One of the aforementioned organizations I participate in is a student-run non-profit. In the fall we advocate for local issues, and in the spring we fund a large grant to another non-profit, which we decide on based on immediate need and sustainability, among other factors. It’s been a great time thinking about how to build self-sustaining change, and they always let me edit video. Oh, and don’t worry, I’m implementing the Gay Agenda in the Church 😉
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? A fast #general is always fun, and I always enjoy #pets, but #food is what got me into this mess.
- What is your favorite book? I won’t pick a favorite, but If on a Winter’s Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino reignited my love for reading that Charles Dickens had so mercilessly stamped out back in High School.
- What is your favorite Complexly show? PBS Eons, hands down
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? My current nerdy loves are Concrete (NOT cement!), Public Transit, Tea, and Liturgy (the order of church services). There was a point in my life that I was deep in the Star Wars EU, but I have since moved on to more frivolous pursuits.
BoedJ (SJ, Boe, Belgian Jonathan, the other Jonathan)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a Belgian student hovering somewhere in between linguistics and computer science.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I’m not sure how I discovered Nerdfighteria, probably a suggested video fed by the YouTube algorithm at some point. I found Tuataria via the original WHAT’S IN THE BOXES comment thread which lead to the creation of the discord (and my sending the first ever message in it).
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? Somehow people appointed me to a student councilor role during my last two years of secondary school, and around the same time I was my football team’s captain. I’ve been a Tuataria admin since the first round of appointments.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I lurk in pretty much all of the channels, but most of my visible activity is in the general ones.
- What is your favourite book? Books are great and important in so many different ways that I can’t possibly answer this question.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? I mostly watch the main vlogbrothers channel, but I’d say Crash Course is probably my favourite project of theirs apart from the main channel.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Languages, probably. Anything that has something to do with meaning and the stories we tell.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I am a born and raised New Yorker and currently a college student at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, PA. I also work as head analyst and assistant coach for the League of Legends team, Team ROCCAT.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I watched Mental Floss video for years without even realizing it was the same John Green that wrote all those, what I at the time thought were “sappy romance novels all the girls liked in high school.” Eventually one of the recommended videos on those led me to the vlogbros channel and that was that, down the rabbit hole I went.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I’ve been a member of several online communities before this, mostly gaming related, I was also captain of my high school basketball team and my role with ROCCAT functions as something of a leadership position as well.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I am a politics and sports junky, so I’m in both channels quite frequently, but mostly I hang out in general a lot just to chat and engage in the craziness.
- What is your favourite book? I’m going to split this into sci-fi and fantasy (my two favorite genres) to make this a bit easier. Sci-fi, it’s The Martian, by Andy Weir. Fantasy, The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? I gotta go with Dear Hank & John, even if I have trouble keeping up a lot of the time
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Sports, video games and reading/writing.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a college student studying to be a History and Theology teacher at a small Catholic college in Ohio. I’m also like, Super Catholic (which is definitely, for sure, a personality trait). I’m the resident Mom Friend and the one who gets all of my irl friends super into new podcasts and books.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I found Nerdfightaria in January of 2014 (I think – it’s been a while). I think I found one of John’s videos while I was falling down a YouTube rabbit hole (appropriate) and then just started binging only Vlogbrothers content until I felt like I understood what was going on. I found Tuataria during the Hunt (it had pretty much gone over my head that John was doing it until March of 2017) from a comment someone left on one of John’s videos. I showed up, and now you can’t get rid of me.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I volunteer a lot at/with my parish back home – I help lead retreats, Bible Studies, and service projects to serve people in the general community in my town. I’ve modded quite a few games of ToJ over in Gamataria (check it out – it’s a Good Time), and I’m one of the Community Managers over in Life’s Library.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I love delving into gen’s :dumpsterfire: – give me a conversation about literally any meaningless topic and I will die on All The Hills. I also love #the_green_room and #literature, and you’ll find me shilling for podcasts, video games, and youtubers in #the_dork_side on a fairly regular basis. And, of course, I’m always excited to delve into the Deep Questions in #philosophy_spirituality.
- What is your favourite book? (favorite is spelled wrong (@all british people) but we’re not going to talk about that) ANYWAY. I have so many favorite books. This is an impossible question. But, I have written a sixteen page paper on the Catholic themes in Lord of the Rings. I have a whole shelf dedicated to Tolkien and Tolkien commentaries. So… ya I guess LOTR is my answer.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Is Vlogbrothers a cop-out? Oh well, it’s true.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Ask me a question about theology or history and I will go on for hours in an overly enthusiastic and excited tone of voice. And, I love talking about Good Storytelling. Seriously, if you see me reading a book or listening to a narrative podcast, there is a 98% chance that I will go off on a long rant about the characters and the plot twists and the writing in a way that tells you absolutely nothing about the plot of the actual book that is in my hands.
Dragon-Feathers (Dragon, Jake)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a welsh teenager, nerd, beekeeper, owner of too many books (i would say that there is no such thing, but my bookshelf is overflowing), and collector of houseplants.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I found Nerdfightaria during the TFIOS movie hype, although it was before I’d actually managed to read the book. As for Tuataria, in the second week of the hunt I realised that I’d forgotten to watch John’s video from the week before, found the first hunt in the comments, and then found a link to the discord server that would become Tuataria in the forum (it was called #itsatuatara back then), and then joined in with trying (not very successfully) to solve the second hunt.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? Off the internet, I’m a volunteer librarian at my local library, and run sessions there where I help old people use their phones and tablets. Online, I’ve been a modmin in tuataria for a while, and I mainly help out with general day to day moderating and member issues, because I’m not very good at the making discord work side of things.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I lurk everywhere except #school_help and #sports (which I have muted and tend to forget exist), but aside from #general and #not_so_general, I can most often be found unlurking in #over_the_rainbow or the voice channels. I can also be found posting cute photos of my assortment of pets in #pets.
- What is your favourite book? It depends on what sort of favourite, but the one book I read over and over again is Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan. I don’t quite know how to describe why I love it, but I do.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? I’m very bad at keeping up with youtube channels, so I’d probably have to say the main vlogbrothers, if that counts, because it’s the only one i manage to watch regularly.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? All sorts of things, but mainly books and bees! I keep bees, and can often be found rambling about them in #pets.
DrWilko (Wilko, Tom)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I am an MRI Physicist and work for an MRI manufacturer in the UK. In my spare time I am a massive nerd but also do food/drinks reviews and make a few podcasts.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria via Crash Course and then catching up on Brotherhood 2.0 in 2010. I joined a real life Nerdfighter society at uni and then mostly lurked on Facebook groups until John (hi John) posted about Tuataria on a vlogbrothers video.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I have done a lot of things but currently I am an Explorer Scout leader and a trustee for a Scouting charity. Also I helped with a Pizzamas thing on Tua and I am generally ‘around’ on Discord.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I read most things but I’m fairly active in food, politics, coding, scitech and the_dork_side.
- What is your favourite book? I struggle to pin down a single favourite. Maybe some favourite authors would be better? I enjoy Gaiman, Pratchett, Rowling, Alastair Reynolds and most sci-fi/fantasy to be honest.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? I tend to like the ones that focus on stuff I don’t know much about so most of John’s Crash Course episodes and the Anthropocene Reviewed.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? I am really into both RPGs and Board Games. After that it’s cool SCIENCE! and programming.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a college student, freelance writer, activist (primarily for women’s rights and disability rights) and giant nerd from Ohio. I’m also the girlfriend of fellow modmin Jonathan — the American one, not the Belgian one.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I’m not sure of the exact time frame because it’s been so long, but I discovered Nerdfighteria around 2009-ish and was definitely a fan, but became truly and deeply involved in the community right before the TFIOS boom happened. I created the Tuataria discord server the night of the first hunt.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In real life, I’m the public relations officer for my college’s branch of Phi Theta Kappa, and I’m actively involved in all of my college’s honors programs and societies. I’m also a volunteer in the childcare division of my church. In Tuataria I’ve helped with the P4A Kindness Challenge, Tuataria Secret Santa, and random other events and fun things that happen on the server in addition to regular modmin duties.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I lurk in just about every channel on the server, but I’m probably most active in the general channels, #the_dork_side, or the channels in the John & Hank category.
- What is your favourite book? The books that mean the most to me overall are Turtles All the Way Down and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, but my “favorite” book varies by the hour. You should know better than to ask a bookworm this question, because *incoherent screaming* THERE’S SO MANY GOOD BOOKS TO PICK FROM!!!
- What is your favourite Complexly show? It’s nearly impossible to pick, but probably between Sexplanations, The Financial Diet, 100 Days (RIP), and good ol’ Vlogbrothers if that counts.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Literature, poetry, movies, music, all the things. The quickest way too my heart is to yell about All Time Low or slam poets like Sabrina Benaim, Melissa Lozada-Oliva, and Blythe Baird with me.
Haley Mae (Haley)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a Michigander and recent college graduate, with a degree in Animal Science concentrated in Animal Biology. I am also dog mom to an Australian Shepherd, Briar Rose, that I am training to be a therapy dog.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria in 2009 when I was in middle school during a not so positive part of my life. Obviously Tuataria would come along much later (I joined in late March of 2017), but it’s the most involved in the community I have ever been!
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I volunteered regularly through several organizations in middle school, high school, and university to help local communities. As far as online communities I was active on tumblr and a couple different fanfiction websites until high school (which will go to the grave with me. Don’t ask 😂😂)
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I’ve been known to josh it up with the best of them in #general. I’ve also got a soft spot for #pets which I am sure shocks no one. #how_to_human is also a favorite, but I lurk in most channels. 👀 Regardless of my activity there. (Though I have a fair share muted as well)
- What is your favourite book? Once again I am unable to select a favorite book (I am an incredibly, indecisive person). I love all of the Harry Potter books, John Green’s books (particularly Turtles All the Way Down and Paper Towns), and a plethora of other books.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Oh dear. Well I don’t follow any of them like a series, but a recent paper for a capstone course has given me a new appreciation for Sexplanations. (Also, Dr. Doe is just an awesome woman with great energy!) I love the old Crash Course World History episodes, SciShow does some super interesting videos, and I’m adjusting to the new format for Mental Floss still.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Well I’m sure you’re sensing a pattern here, but I love nerding out about the environment, particularly animals, agriculture, and how we can work towards a healthier planet for all creatures. I also love a variety of other, more normal things I promise!
- Who are you outside of the internet? Hello, I’m a twenty five year old Londoner who likes drinking tea, taking photos and travelling around the world. In my day job, I work for local government in London, doing urban planning. It’s wonderful to see your hard work be realised in the real world!
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? 5 years, since 2012. CGP Grey pointed me towards the vlogbrothers and I was hooked. I always knew I was a nerd, so I was a little disappointed I hadn’t found them earlier… I’ve watched the videos ever since. Watching a John video early in 2017 led me down a weird Padre Pio based rabbit hole, and the rest is history!
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I’ve been part of many internet forums over the years, but never in a leadership role. In meatspace, I was a Young Leader at my local Cub Scout group, as part of completing my Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award. In Tuataria, I was the second monarch (King James), and I drink tea alot. There’s probably other things that I’ve forgotten – we do so much as a community!
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I like this question. Not “which do you spend most time in”, but what do you most enjoy. #finished_works (the old creative) – I love art, literature and other creative endeavours, and I greatly enjoy the talent and passion of our members across the world. Also, #food because I like good food. Simple as!
- What is your favourite book? 1Q84 by Murakami. Maddeningly brilliant.
- What is your favourite Complexly show?
Brain ScoopIt has to be a Complexly show? So I can’t choose Hankschannel? Fine, Crash Course it is.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Yeah, I’m a nerd. Aren’t we all? Cities, urban transportation, trains, books, politics, architecture, Harry Potter, good quality design, London, art, photography, history, technology… I could go on…
Jonathan (Enchilada, Ench, the other Jonathan)
- Who are you outside of the internet? Hi! I’m a 19 year old computer science major from just outside New York City. I’m a tutor at my local Boys and Girls Club and also a produce clerk at Stop and Shop. Don’t mess with me or I’ll poison your lettuce. Erin, the creator of Tuataria, is my real life girlfriend.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I found Nerdfighteria 4 years ago , through SciShow and Crash Course. I Googled “Are John Green and Hank Green brothers?” and the rest is history. I discovered Tuataria on the first day through Hank’s tweet about the hunt.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In the outernet, I’ve volunteered at my local dog rescue for several years, in addition to my Boys and Girls Club job. I was one of the original admins of Tuataria, but I took a break for a while until recently coming back.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? #general, mostly. The faster the better.
- What is your favourite book? An Ember in the Ashes, by Sabaa Tahir
- What is your favourite Complexly show? SciShow Space!
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Oh boy. Space, sports, space, Transformers, Halo, space… other stuff.
Ketie Holmes (Ketie)
- Who are you outside of the internet? In my real life, I’m a trainer for democratic education. aka I sit people down in circles and we talk about democracy.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I became a Nerdighter in 2009. I’ve organized local gatherings and been part of online Nerdfighter places. and since NerdCon: Nerdfighteria I have a international nerdfighter group, the “pineapples of solidarity”. I’ve joined tuataria at some point during the hunt and was there for a couple of the hunts, when I could. But I only really became involved with the community around the time of the publication of turtles all the way down.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I’ve been involved in different slices of the Nerdfighter community for years. Sometimes I am organising local community events, other times I am trying to make our online places fun and engaging.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I am mostly living on the side servers: Hogwartaria, the book club, and Gamataria. On the main server I mostly hang out in The Green Room.
- What is your favourite book? The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is my favorite book in general. My favorite john green book is zombiecorns.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Animal Wonders & Sexplanations.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? TV shows (The Handmaid’s Tale, Doctor Who, Grey’s Anatomy…), books, movies, games (The Sims, Hearthstone), YouTube, animals (I love animals!), musicals, random weird facts, …
Lyserg.Z (Lyserg, Ly)
- Who are you outside of the internet? Some Chilean person studying Computer Science
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I honestly can’t remember when or how I started watching Vlogbros videos. Pretty sure I was there for the 2008 p4a so let’s say since late 2008. Tuataria was through the itsatuatara forums the day it was created.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In Tuataria: I sometimes write things, sometimes people read ’em. Offline: I sometimes say things, sometimes people listen. But really, I get sad about convos going sour so I tend to act as a mediator of sorts sometimes, or just generally nudge people into Imagining Each Other Complexly™. I sometimes pressure for things to happen when I see that someone needs to do that, but I tend not to go for explicit leader roles. I donate blood frequently, so that’s also something? It’s very simple, if you can you should try it too C:
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? Mostly in the generals and #the_dork_side, always look at #coding and sometimes have nice/interesting extended convos over at #philosophy_spirituality. I like looking at the creative channels too. I lurk almost everywhere.
- What is your favourite book? That’s a hard one, specially because I don’t read that much. I like John Green stuff, magical realism (e.g. García Márquez), and Watership Down is one of the books I’ve most enjoyed recently. Allow manga and I could add stuff like WataMote and Oyasumi Punpun (and other Inio Asano works).
- What is your favourite Complexly show? The Brainscoop. It’s entertaining and really interesting. It’s not a Complexly show now, but I was told it used to be so I’m going with it anyways.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Most subjects have something that can be super fun and interesting, but mostly, it’s anime, videogames, music and different combinations of those. Yell at me about Chiptune.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a chemistry student in Moscow, Russia, who also sometimes makes short fifteen-minute talks about science, but only in Russian for now.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I always answer this question with a different amount of a story, so here’s the entirety of it. I was bored on the Internet and found a quiz “Who is your YouTube alter-ego?” or something like that. I got Hank Green, who I knew nothing about at that point, and I checked out SciShow. And kinda forgot about it, until some month later I subscribed to it and also CrashCourse and vlogbrothers. And then as I watched more I kinda got slowly into it. In one of the videos (I believe it was Week 9) John specifically mentioned something about a scavenger hunt in the comments, which I tried to follow, and that comment section led me to setting up Discord and joining Tuataria. And the rest is history.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I’m a part of a science communicators community, where I help with organisation (from setting up chairs and a projector to managing questions from the audience) and also sometimes deliver science lectures of my own. I also sometimes help counting the right answers in quiz-like events and provide useful links to explain people that the answers they gave aren’t particularly correct.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? #general in early purple mornings will always have a special place in my heart, but I also enjoy learning other people’s experiences and talking about my own in #over_the_rainbow and sometimes unlurk in #linguistics and #language_exchange to nerd out about language.
- What is your favourite book? This is genuinely a hard question. My favourite book almost always changes to the one I read most recently, but if I have to pick one (and I can’t pick my tenth grade chemistry textbook), then I’d have to go with Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman!
- What is your favourite Complexly show? From those I follow regularly, Sexplanations and The Anthropocene Reviewed. I also enjoy Animal Wonders and Dear Hank and John, but I sometimes fail to catch up on them.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Chemistry, although I don’t usually do that, languages, although I lack knowledge about it sometimes, and tea, although I’ve been drinking mostly the same teas all my life (Greenfield Summer Bouquet, Greenfield Christmas Mystery, or any Earl Grey I could find).
- Who are you outside of the internet? I work in the houseplants department of a garden centre in the UK, I’m a book loving, houseplant growing, baked good craving Hufflepuff.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I honestly don’t remember exactly when I or how I found Nerdfighteria but Tuataria I found from a YouTube comment in October 2018
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I would like to think that I’m a very empathetic person, so have I helped my wider community? Maybe not, but I would hope I have helped friends, online or offline friends work through their troubles and always offering a shoulder to lean or cry on.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? Literature, Dork Side, Politics, and Over the Rainbow 🙂
- What is your favourite book? The Harry Potter series, The His Dark Materials series, most of Terry Pratchett’s catalogue, what’s that? Oh, I thought you said ‘books’…
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Crash Course, specifically the Mythology one 🙂
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Books…uhm, yep, books. I like being nerdy about other things, but, being real, it’s probably adaptations of books.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I am a software developer in Jakarta, Indonesia. I love maths, programming, the history of science, and puns.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria while looking for a Nerdfighter Discord server on the subreddit. Then some Tuatarians I talked to in voice invited me to the Tuataria server.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I have been on committees in my college debate club, started a newspaper in high school, and I’ve spent large chunks of my non-modmin hours just trying to help out wherever I can on the server. Hopefully, I’ll just keep on doing what I’ve been doing now that I’m a modmin.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I’m fairly active in #politics because I love learning about and debating about how the world works and should work. You can see my long posts about Indonesian history and politics there. I also hang around #coding, #scitech, #the_dork_side, and the general channels.
- What is your favourite book? I’m not sure. Maybe the Discworld series? I’m really fond of Guards! Guards! as it was the first Discworld audiobook I ever heard and the first Discworld book I experienced.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Delete This is by far my favorite podcast these days, but I also love The Anthropocene Reviewed, Dear Hank and John, and Journey to the Microcosmos.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Maths, programming, history of science, puns, good fiction, good non-fiction, and good music.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a super-duper-ultra-senior accounting major at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania; I also hail from said Keystone State, making my non-college-time residence in the Pittsburgh area.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria through a friend who got into John’s books not long after TFiOS came out (which, fun fact, is now in the first half of Nerdfighteria’s existence; isn’t the ceaseless forward progression of time fascinating?), though I was pretty passive in my being-in-it until Tuataria happened. I heard on the pod that there was a Nerdfighteria Discord, and then I saw it in the hunt video that week, and the rest is history.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In addition to modminning here, I mod a few other interest-specific Discord servers, the largest of which is at about 800 members at the time of writing, give or take. In the offline community, I admit that I don’t do as much volunteery work as I once did, on account of time being split between my education and a part-time job, but I once did work handing out food with my local food bank.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? #general is always a good time. A good time that’s impossible to keep up with, usually, but a good time nonetheless; it’s the one place in Tuataria where you know that just about any conversation can happen, so it’s always fun to walk into it and not know what’s gonna happen–other than that it’ll be something very interesting with some very interesting people! I can also be seen pretty regularly in #sports and #the_green_room, dabbling in the other channels when appropriate.
- What is your favourite book? I disagree with your premise. One cannot simply have a favorite book. More specificity is needed to get a good answer! For instance, if you were to ask about my favorite unreleased book, I would have to say Hank Green’s An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, which releases September 25th; it is available for pre-order now wherever books are sold (limited signed copies are still available, so act fast!).
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Does The Anthropocene Reviewed count as a Complexly show? If not, then probably SciShow.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Sports. Full-stop. (But only the sports that I like, naturally; so, baseball, 🏈 football, and 🏒 hockey.)
YlimeReads (Emily, Em)
- Who are you outside of the internet? A cataloging librarian whose heart is in the pacific northwest but currently exploring the northeast. Dedicated pokemon trainer and unapologetically nerdy person.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered nerdfighteria in 2007 when Accio Deathly Hallows was featured on the front page of YouTube. I’ve been a nerdfighter ever since and joined Tuataria the night it was created!
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I’ve been a part of many online communities in my years on the internet on multiple different platforms, helping out when I can to grow them. Offline I’ve been a student leader in high school, college and grad school; each completely different roles but all involved building community.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I hang out in #general a lot, but I really do lurk/read every channel (:eyes: always watching). The ones I probably participate the most in regularly are: #the_dork_side, #how_to_human, #the_green_room, #pets, and probably whichever nerd-related spoiler channel(s) that exists.
- What is your favourite book? I do not like this question it is too hard. My go-to answer is Harry Potter (the whole series really but book 7 if you make me choose one).
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Crash Course and SciShow! I’m not watching every video these days because SO MANY WOW but I am amazed at the quality of the educational content and the entertainment of these channels.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Star Trek will always top the list for me, but I am a huge fan of many nerdy things including but definitely not limited to: Star Wars, Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Marvel movies, LOTR, Rick Riordan’s books, Pokemon, Firefly, Gilmore Girls, BOOKS, Zelda games, and honestly probably a lot more rip I definitely don’t have a problem it’s fine.