Below are some quick facts about the lovely Tuataria modmins (a portmanteau of admin and mod)! If you have any problems, questions, etc. you can message us on the discord and we can help you out!
- Who are you outside of the internet? I am a university student in Quito, Ecuador. I study biotechnology. If you ask me what I have learned in my career the most honest answer would be: I know how to efficiently explain what biotechnology is now.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria through Youtube recommendations sometime in 2009 but probably didn’t actually become invested in it till 2010. I found Tuataria on day 2 through a Hank tweet.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In highschool I was part of the student government and president of the environmental club. In Tuataria I help mostly by being as helpful as I can, I can’t really pinpoint a thing that I do. Hopefully that doesn’t mean that I do nothing
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I am a major lurker. I basically read everything. I usually participate in the topics channels and the advice category. I will be a person’s biggest cheerleader so basically hit me up if you need support.
- What is your favourite book? NOPE NOPE NOPE I will not answer this question. My favorite authors at the moment include García Márquez, Jane Austen and Becky Albertalli.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? My favorite Complexly shows have to be SciShow, and Mental Floss. They are the fun fact provider I always needed.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? I live for fun facts. I hope to one day have a fun fact for every situation. This means I need to nerd out about everything. My favorite things to nerd out about are biology, history and books.
- Who are you outside of the internet? Website maker, digital/social media manager, freelancer, amateur half-marathoner, and mom to a grumpy 14-year-old dachshund.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I think it was about 2013-2014, one of those “…was that John Green” tumblr posts, and then I realized that guy did more than write books I kept hearing about. Which led me to vlogbrothers, which led me to…everything. After doing the first hunt the day John started it, I was pretty active in the forum and deciding how we were going to work together *if* there were future hunts, so I jumped at joining the discord a few hours after it was started!
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I’ve run or helped run a few other online communities, including some large LiveJournal groups and Fanlistings (#tbt), and was president/vice president of my college theater company for 3 years, along with several show management roles. I’m also a sometime-creative director for a friend’s sometime-theater company. I’m a volunteer counselor with Crisis Text Line, and help out at mobile food pantry events with my local food bank. In Tuataria, I do a lot of our data projects (the census, emoji management), help out with the Kindness Challenges, and all around try to make Tuataria the best community it can be!
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I enjoy the conversations in almost every channel, but I probably spend the most time reading and engaging in #the_green_room, #fitness, #the_dork_side, and #pets (even if the conversation in pets is mostly squeaking). And #general and #not_so_general, of course.
- What is your favourite book? I always have 3-4 favorites; right now probably Red White and Royal Blue, Mountains Beyond Mountains, and Ella Enchanted.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Lately it’s been hankschannel, but I also absolutely love the innovative stuff The Art Assignment does!
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Competitive figure skating, long bois, web accessibility, The West Wing, inclusion in education, how most advertising is bullshit, social justice, fonts, how good pineapple is on pizza…
- Who are you outside of the internet? By day, I’m a Welsh person living undercover as a Londoner in a house full of Nerdfighters. I exist purely to drink too much tea and spend most of my time procrastinating, denying the death of my plant collection and doing ‘art stuff’. I’m also the unofficial ‘cursed image creator’ and IRL girlfriend and housemate of Modmin James – hi!
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria back in 2013 when I first read John’s books and there was something about Vlogbrothers in the back of Paper Towns. When I moved to London I was completely on my own, and I joined the local Nerdfighter group here and found a whole bunch of great friends (and housemates) through this community! I joined Tuataria during Pizzamas after moving into the Nerdfighter Flat – and here I am.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? Back in Wales, I volunteered a lot to help out at events and raise money for our local hospice. I used to volunteer in a charity shop, and helped to run after-school art programmes for younger kids while providing advice about University for A-level students at my old school. These days I’m around to give dubious adulting advice and just try my best to do simple, everyday acts of kindness.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I spend most of my time in #general, but I love seeing everything people are posting in #making_things and #finished_works and love the slower, in-depth discussions in #calm_general too!
- What is your favourite book? I’m going to avoid saying Harry Potter because this feels like the easy answer (apologies) – my favourite series is probably the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness, but one of my all-time favourite books is Across The Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Probably SciShow or CrashCourse for quick, fun and interesting facts when I feel like learning something new!
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Art, books, Harry Potter, bad jokes and cursed images. I’m here for all of it.
BoedJ (SJ, Boe, Belgian Jonathan, the other Jonathan)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a Belgian student hovering somewhere in between linguistics and computer science.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I’m not sure how I discovered Nerdfighteria, probably a suggested video fed by the YouTube algorithm at some point. I found Tuataria via the original WHAT’S IN THE BOXES comment thread which lead to the creation of the discord (and my sending the first ever message in it).
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? Somehow people appointed me to a student councilor role during my last two years of secondary school, and around the same time I was my football team’s captain. I’ve been a Tuataria admin since the first round of appointments.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I lurk in pretty much all of the channels, but most of my visible activity is in the general ones.
- What is your favourite book? Books are great and important in so many different ways that I can’t possibly answer this question.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? I mostly watch the main vlogbrothers channel, but I’d say Crash Course is probably my favourite project of theirs apart from the main channel.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Languages, probably. Anything that has something to do with meaning and the stories we tell.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I am a born and raised New Yorker and currently an assistant coach for League of Legends team Infinity Esports.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I watched Mental Floss video for years without even realizing it was the same John Green that wrote all those, what I at the time thought were “sappy romance novels all the girls liked in high school.” Eventually one of the recommended videos on those led me to the vlogbros channel and that was that, down the rabbit hole I went.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I’ve been a member of several online communities before this, mostly gaming related, I was also captain of my high school basketball team.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I am a politics and sports junky, so I’m in both channels quite frequently.
- What is your favourite book? I’m going to split this into sci-fi and fantasy (my two favorite genres) to make this a bit easier. Sci-fi, it’s The Martian, by Andy Weir. Fantasy, The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? PBS Eons
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Sports, video games and reading/writing.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a college student studying to be a History and Theology teacher at a small Catholic college in Ohio. I’m also like, Super Catholic (which is definitely, for sure, a personality trait). I’m the resident Mom Friend and the one who gets all of my irl friends super into new podcasts and books.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I found Nerdfightaria in January of 2014 (I think – it’s been a while). I think I found one of John’s videos while I was falling down a YouTube rabbit hole (appropriate) and then just started binging only Vlogbrothers content until I felt like I understood what was going on. I found Tuataria during the Hunt (it had pretty much gone over my head that John was doing it until March of 2017) from a comment someone left on one of John’s videos. I showed up, and now you can’t get rid of me.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I volunteer a lot at/with my parish back home – I help lead retreats, Bible Studies, and service projects to serve people in the general community in my town. I’ve modded quite a few games of ToJ over in Gamataria (check it out – it’s a Good Time), and I’m one of the Community Managers over in Life’s Library.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I love delving into gen’s :dumpsterfire: – give me a conversation about literally any meaningless topic and I will die on All The Hills. I also love #the_green_room and #literature, and you’ll find me shilling for podcasts, video games, and youtubers in #the_dork_side on a fairly regular basis. And, of course, I’m always excited to delve into the Deep Questions in #philosophy_spirituality.
- What is your favourite book? (favorite is spelled wrong (@all british people) but we’re not going to talk about that) ANYWAY. I have so many favorite books. This is an impossible question. But, I have written a sixteen page paper on the Catholic themes in Lord of the Rings. I have a whole shelf dedicated to Tolkien and Tolkien commentaries. So… ya I guess LOTR is my answer.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Is Vlogbrothers a cop-out? Oh well, it’s true.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Ask me a question about theology or history and I will go on for hours in an overly enthusiastic and excited tone of voice. And, I love talking about Good Storytelling. Seriously, if you see me reading a book or listening to a narrative podcast, there is a 98% chance that I will go off on a long rant about the characters and the plot twists and the writing in a way that tells you absolutely nothing about the plot of the actual book that is in my hands.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a welsh teenager, nerd, beekeeper, owner of too many books (i would say that there is no such thing, but my bookshelf is overflowing), and collector of houseplants.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I found Nerdfightaria during the TFIOS movie hype, although it was before I’d actually managed to read the book. As for Tuataria, in the second week of the hunt I realised that I’d forgotten to watch John’s video from the week before, found the first hunt in the comments, and then found a link to the discord server that would become Tuataria in the forum (it was called #itsatuatara back then), and then joined in with trying (not very successfully) to solve the second hunt.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? Off the internet, I’m a volunteer librarian at my local library, and run sessions there where I help old people use their phones and tablets. Online, I’ve been a modmin in tuataria for a while, and I mainly help out with general day to day moderating and member issues, because I’m not very good at the making discord work side of things.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I lurk everywhere except #school_help and #sports (which I have muted and tend to forget exist), but aside from #general and #not_so_general, I can most often be found unlurking in #over_the_rainbow or the voice channels. I can also be found posting cute photos of my assortment of pets in #pets.
- What is your favourite book? It depends on what sort of favourite, but the one book I read over and over again is Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan. I don’t quite know how to describe why I love it, but I do.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? I’m very bad at keeping up with youtube channels, so I’d probably have to say the main vlogbrothers, if that counts, because it’s the only one i manage to watch regularly.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? All sorts of things, but mainly books and bees! I keep bees, and can often be found rambling about them in #pets.
Wilko (DrWilko, Tom)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I am an MRI Physicist and Research Fellow at a university in the UK. In my spare time I am a massive nerd but also do food & drink reviews and make a few podcasts.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria via Crash Course and then catching up on Brotherhood 2.0 in 2010. I joined a real life Nerdfighter society at uni and then mostly lurked on Facebook groups until John (hi John) posted about Tuataria on a vlogbrothers video.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I have done a lot of things but currently I am an Explorer Scout leader and a trustee for a Scouting charity. Also I helped with a Pizzamas thing on Tua and I am generally ‘around’ on Discord.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I read most things but I’m fairly active in food, politics, coding, scitech and the_dork_side.
- What is your favourite book? I struggle to pin down a single favourite. Maybe some favourite authors would be better? I enjoy Gaiman, Pratchett, N K Jemisin, Alastair Reynolds and most sci-fi/fantasy to be honest.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? I tend to like the ones that focus on stuff I don’t know much about so most of John’s Crash Course episodes and the Anthropocene Reviewed.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? I am really into both RPGs and Board Games. After that it’s cool SCIENCE! and programming.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a college student, freelance writer, activist (primarily for women’s rights and disability rights) and giant nerd from Ohio.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I’m not sure of the exact time frame because it’s been so long, but I discovered Nerdfighteria around 2009-ish and was definitely a fan, but became truly and deeply involved in the community right before the TFIOS boom happened. I created the Tuataria discord server the night of the first hunt.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In real life, I’m the public relations officer for my college’s branch of Phi Theta Kappa, and I’m actively involved in all of my college’s honors programs and societies. I’m also a volunteer in the childcare division of my church. In Tuataria I’ve helped with the P4A Kindness Challenge, Tuataria Secret Santa, and random other events and fun things that happen on the server in addition to regular modmin duties.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I lurk in just about every channel on the server, but I’m probably most active in the general channels, #the_dork_side, or the channels in the John & Hank category.
- What is your favourite book? The books that mean the most to me overall are Turtles All the Way Down and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, but my “favorite” book varies by the hour. You should know better than to ask a bookworm this question, because *incoherent screaming* THERE’S SO MANY GOOD BOOKS TO PICK FROM!!!
- What is your favourite Complexly show? It’s nearly impossible to pick, but probably between Sexplanations, The Financial Diet, 100 Days (RIP), and good ol’ Vlogbrothers if that counts.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Literature, poetry, movies, music, all the things. The quickest way too my heart is to yell about All Time Low or slam poets like Sabrina Benaim, Melissa Lozada-Oliva, and Blythe Baird with me.
Haley Mae (Haley)
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a Michigander, Veterinary Assistant, and All-Around Nerd. I am also dog mom to two Australian Shepherds, Briar Rose, an absolute bean, and Maybelle, whom we affectionately refer to as ‘The Darkness’.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria in 2009 when I was in middle school during a not so positive part of my life. Obviously, Tuataria would come along much later (I joined in late March of 2017), but it’s the most involved in the community I have ever been!
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I volunteered regularly through several organizations in middle school, high school, and university to help local communities. As far as online communities I was active on tumblr and a couple different fanfiction websites until high school (which will go to the grave with me. Don’t ask 😂😂)
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I love good conversations so I will hang out anywhere. I have been a lot busier with work, but am quite the lurker after my long work days once I’m home. I’ve also got a soft spot for #pets which I am sure shocks no one. #how_to_human is also a favorite of mine.
- What is your favourite book? Once again I am unable to select a favorite book (I am an incredibly, indecisive person). I love all of the Harry Potter books, John Green’s books (particularly Turtles All the Way Down and Paper Towns), and a plethora of other books.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Oh dear. Well I don’t follow any of them like a series. While writing a paper for my capstone course I developed a huge appreciation for Sexplanations. (Also, Dr. Doe is just an awesome woman with great energy!) I really love the old Crash Course World History episodes and SciShow does some super interesting videos.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Well I’m sure you’re sensing a pattern here, but I love nerding out about the environment, particularly animals, agriculture, and how we can work towards a healthier planet for all creatures. Women’s rights and just being a good human to others are also some big ones for me. I also love a variety of other, more normal things I promise!
- Who are you outside of the internet? Hello, I’m a 27 year old Londoner who likes drinking tea, taking photos and travelling around the world. In my day job, I work for local government in London, doing urban planning. It’s wonderful to see your hard work be realised in the real world!
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? Since 2012. CGP Grey pointed me towards the vlogbrothers and I was hooked. I always knew I was a nerd, so I was a little disappointed I hadn’t found them earlier… I’ve watched the videos ever since. Watching a John video early in 2017 led me down a weird Padre Pio based rabbit hole, and the rest is history!
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I’ve been part of many internet forums over the years, but never in a leadership role. In meatspace, I was a Young Leader at my local Cub Scout group, as part of completing my Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award. In Tuataria, I was the second monarch (King James), and I drink tea alot. There’s probably other things that I’ve forgotten – we do so much as a community!
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I like this question. Not “which do you spend most time in”, but what do you most enjoy. #finished_works (the old creative) – I love art, literature and other creative endeavours, and I greatly enjoy the talent and passion of our members across the world. Also, #food because I like good food. Simple as!
- What is your favourite book? 1Q84 by Murakami. Maddeningly brilliant.
- What is your favourite Complexly show?
Brain ScoopIt has to be a Complexly show? So I can’t choose Hankschannel? Fine, Crash Course it is.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Yeah, I’m a nerd. Aren’t we all? Cities, urban transportation, trains, books, politics, architecture, Harry Potter, good quality design, London, art, photography, history, technology… I could go on…
Jonathan (Enchilada, Ench, the other Jonathan)
- Who are you outside of the internet? Hi! I’m a 22 year old currently fighting the universe on my way to a career as a software engineer. I’m currently a Youth Development Professional at my local Boys and Girls Club, and I’ve been doing that for about 7 years now.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I found Nerdfighteria about 6 years ago , through SciShow and Crash Course. I Googled “Are John Green and Hank Green brothers?” and the rest is history. I discovered Tuataria on the first day through Hank’s tweet about the hunt.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In the outernet, I volunteered at my local dog rescue for several years, in addition to my Boys and Girls Club job. I’ve been a Tuataria admin/mod since the beginning (except for that time where I took a break for 8 months).
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? #general, mostly. The faster the better. You can also pretty reliably find me in #sports, and in #scitech yelling about obscure spaceflight facts.
- What is your favourite book? An Ember in the Ashes, by Sabaa Tahir
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Dear Hank and John!
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Hmm. Spaceflight history, American football (#flyeaglesfly!), and Halo, mostly.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a British teen (in the sense that I spent my childhood in Scotland and teenagehood in England, so like I can’t just say one or the other) who’s trying to get through A Levels and Uni Stuff at the moment. I’m usually the ‘Mature’ one of my friend groups, and will be found gaming, reading, or watching whatever’s on hand.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I had found CrashCourse sometime in the spring of 2016, binged a lot of their videos, realised that, yes, that is the John Green, found out his brother Hank and him had their own YouTube channel. Fell into the rest of Nerdfighteria soon after.
Strap yourselves for a tale for Tua: I had known of this discord back when John had shouted it out in one of his videos during the hunts. I did initially join in March 2017 only to leave a month after because, well, I was new to discord and had no idea how anything worked. A year of experience later and bored at the end of my long post-GCSEs summer holidays I joined the server again on a whim and have not regretted it since.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? Offline, I’ve worked in a bunch of summer schools/student ambassador things which could boil down to “help new people not feel intimidated” and have been a very active member of the debating club of my college and helped in the organising side of the club (speaking, chairing debates, that kind of stuff). Online, this is my first gig 😀
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? The generals are a good place to hang out, the dork side is a great place to nerd about most things and get hype, and the green room for all the green bros adjacent nonsense. Politics has been a great place to learn and think about how our world works and how it could be better. Also sports when there’s cricket hype going on! Though I do enjoy and lurk in (almost) every channel to some degree.
- What is your favourite book? There are a lot of books, many of them good, so I cannot answer this question with one title but a list of a few. Anthony Horowitz’ books were always a fun read, especially Alex Rider and the Power of Five series. The Hate U Give and The Hunger Games series are also very good reads and Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan) is, like, the Best. And John Green’s novels, of course, my favourite of his being An Abundance of Katherines.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Vlogbrothers by far for how silly and complex it can be. But if that isn’t Complexly Show enough, I’d say it’s a toss up between CrashCourse for having a fun way to learn doing something I already enjoy (watching videos) or Ours Poetica for igniting a love of poetry in me and highlighting people’s connections to and love for poems.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Where do I start? Books, movies, politics, probably quite a lot of anime. And even more games, especially platformers and RPGs! And cricket (the game not the insect), and history, and YouTube… The list just goes on and on.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a student living in Japan. Currently working toward finishing school, and getting into the gaming industry to do concept art stuffs! I also live with 2 doggos, they take very good care of me.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I mostly don’t remember, but one of the things I do remember is finding the “Dear Hank and John” podcast through Googling “Good YouTuber Podcasts” before watching any of their videos.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In my school I have been a part of the library committee. I also like to think that I make a pretty hefty contribution to the English Speaking Society club in my school, being a fluent English speaker and trying to make it a welcoming environment as much I can!
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? The most enjoyed is definitely #finished_works and #making_things they come hand in hand! It’s a lovely place full of amazing creatives. I also have learnt to enjoy #linguistics through all of the language passion in Tua!
- What is your favourite book? Through my limited collection of books that I’ve finished and my indecisive nature, I do not have one! Yup!
What is your favourite Complexly show? I love so many of them… but being an art nerd “The Art Assignment” has to be at the top for me.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? I just love all things art. From the broader cultural and philosophical parts of art, to the nitty gritty techniques used when making art, I nerd out about them all. Plus, if you want to talk video games I’m your person.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I work in the houseplants department of a garden centre in the UK, I’m a book loving, houseplant growing, baked good craving Hufflepuff.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I honestly don’t remember exactly when I or how I found Nerdfighteria but Tuataria I found from a YouTube comment in October 2018
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? I would like to think that I’m a very empathetic person, so have I helped my wider community? Maybe not, but I would hope I have helped friends, online or offline friends work through their troubles and always offering a shoulder to lean or cry on.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? Literature, Dork Side, Politics, and Over the Rainbow 🙂
- What is your favourite book? The Harry Potter series, The His Dark Materials series, most of Terry Pratchett’s catalogue, what’s that? Oh, I thought you said ‘books’…
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Crash Course, specifically the Mythology one 🙂
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Books…uhm, yep, books. I like being nerdy about other things, but, being real, it’s probably adaptations of books.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I am a Canadian university student studying the environment (double majoring in Environmental Science and Environmental Studies … they’re two different things, believe me).
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I’ve been watching vlogbrothers content since about 2015, when I was in middle school. When I started high school in late 2016, I met another nerd fighter (hi Cath!) and was pointed in the direction of the Nerdfighteria and Tuataria discord servers a few months later, in early 2017.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In high school, I was very involved in both the arts magazine and yearbook committee, eventually holding the positions of Yearbook Editor and Editor-in-Chief for the arts magazine in my senior year. I also did a variety of other volunteer in high school, particularly with school events. I was also part of student council during my senior year. Online, I’m currently also modding a (very inactive) discord server for my uni’s class of 2024.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? I absolutely love the channels in the creative category, as well as #literature, #food, and #holidays_culture. I lurk just about everywhere though, except for #sports and #philosophy_spirituality (both of which I have muted).
- What is your favourite book? There are SO MANY. Books I really enjoyed include The Perks of Being a Wallflower; Radio Silence; and Symphony for the City of the Dead.
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Probably Crash Course, though The Antropocene Reviewed also holds a special place in my heart.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Lots of things! But mostly books, photography, writing, and spoken-word poetry.
- Who are you outside of the internet? I’m a super-duper-ultra-senior accounting major at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania; I also hail from said Keystone State, making my non-college-time residence in the Pittsburgh area.
- When and how did you discover Nerdfighteria and Tuataria? I discovered Nerdfighteria through a friend who got into John’s books not long after TFiOS came out (which, fun fact, is now in the first half of Nerdfighteria’s existence; isn’t the ceaseless forward progression of time fascinating?), though I was pretty passive in my being-in-it until Tuataria happened. I heard on the pod that there was a Nerdfighteria Discord, and then I saw it in the hunt video that week, and the rest is history.
- How have you helped out in your communities, both online and off? In addition to modminning here, I mod a few other interest-specific Discord servers, the largest of which is at about 800 members at the time of writing, give or take. In the offline community, I admit that I don’t do as much volunteery work as I once did, on account of time being split between my education and a part-time job, but I once did work handing out food with my local food bank.
- Which channels do you most enjoy spending time in? #general is always a good time. A good time that’s impossible to keep up with, usually, but a good time nonetheless; it’s the one place in Tuataria where you know that just about any conversation can happen, so it’s always fun to walk into it and not know what’s gonna happen–other than that it’ll be something very interesting with some very interesting people! I can also be seen pretty regularly in #sports and #the_green_room, dabbling in the other channels when appropriate.
- What is your favourite book? I disagree with your premise. One cannot simply have a favorite book. More specificity is needed to get a good answer! For instance, if you were to ask about my favorite unreleased book, I would have to say Hank Green’s An Absolutely Remarkable Thing, which releases September 25th; it is available for pre-order now wherever books are sold (limited signed copies are still available, so act fast!).
- What is your favourite Complexly show? Does The Anthropocene Reviewed count as a Complexly show? If not, then probably SciShow.
- What do you like to nerd out about the most? Sports. Full-stop. (But only the sports that I like, naturally; so, baseball, 🏈 football, and 🏒 hockey.)